Blue Earl Brewing, located in the historic town of Smyrna, Delaware is seeking a Head Brewer.
Passion, positivity, hard work, teamwork, fun, creativity and open-mindedness are all part of the Blue Earl culture. The perfect candidate will embody those values, and will also be self-motivated, adaptable, a team-player and a lifelong learner with a track record of both personal and professional growth.
The position’s primary responsibilities are wort production, cellar work and packaging. The Head Brewer position is full-time and will report directly to the brewery manager. Additionally, the Head Brewer will work closely with sales and the taproom manager.
Blue Earl is a three vessel 15 bbl brewhouse with fermenters from 15 to 30bbl. Annual production of 1,500 barrels in 2018 with continued growth. The Head Brewer will be brewing, cellaring, kegging, bottling/canning, barrel-aging, and other related activities associated with brewery operations.
- 3 years professional brewing experience
- Excellent sensory abilities and recipe development skills
- Grain to glass brewery experience
- Packaging experience with cans, bottles and kegs
- Experience with water filtration and custom water profiles
- Laboratory / QC experience preferred
- Formal training / education preferred
- Excellent detail-oriented communication skills
- Detailed knowledge of industry standards and trends
- Day to day operations accomplishing daily and weekly goals
- Collaborative recipe development
- Wort production
- Yeast management
- Sanitation / CIP
- Cellar and packaging management
- Inventory management
- Ensure clean and sanitary working environment
- Ensure safety, quality and efficiency
Education, Experience and Certification/License Requirements
- Minimum of 3 years of professional brewing experience
- Formal brewing education preferred
- Proven ability to contribute to a successful team
- Extensive experience of the brewing process including:
- yeast health
- beer transfer and clarification
- brewery QC procedures
- Must be able to lift 65 pounds and move 175 pounds regularly.
- Must have ability to work in both hot, cold and wet environments
- Must have ability to work in tight areas while twisting, bending, pulling and pushing
- Must have ability to stand on concrete floors for long duration (8-12 hours)
- Frequently climb ladders and stairs safely on a daily basis
Qualified applicants should possess superior knowledge and passion of the craft beer business, experience in a similar role at a brewery, ability to excel in a collaborative work environment, exceptional work ethic and ability to understand the big picture while keeping a close eye on the details, strong written and verbal communication skills, capability to multi-task, and a great appreciation for organization. Applicants should also possess reliable car transportation, a clean driving record, night and weekend flexibility, and an outstanding relationship-building personality.
Blue Earl offers a competitive salary based on experience.
To apply, email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include all relevant work history in your resume, formal training, as well as professional and personal references.
Related: blue earl, Blue Earl Brewery, blue earl careers, blue earl jobs, Openings at Blue Earl